Sunday, January 27, 2013

I’m Homeless!!


… I do not think I would have ever uttered those words but I am currently homeless. It is a very weird and surreal feeling to know what it feels like to not have a home. For starters, it is a sad and unwelcoming feeling to not have a place that you can truly say that is where you live.

Since Friday, 18/1/2013, I have searched feverishly on DAFT and set up countless appointments and visits to places around Dublin. The first couple of days went great and I had one place that was ready to accept me. However, I did not accept it because I was waiting to hear back from the responses of other places in better locations and at much cheaper prices.

Unfortunately, after the joy of having that initial opportunity, the process has been devastating and exhausting to say the least. Instead of searching for what class I am doing throughout the week, it has been filled with searching endlessly for another flat to rent or a room to share for 4-5 months.

None of it pales in comparison  to the disappointment that is felt to set up an appointment, clear the rest of the day around that appointment, get ready for it, head over there, and text to ensure that you are there to find out that they just gave away the apartment.

To date, it has happened five times and is painful to bear with every time. However, I remain optimistic and ecstatic to be able to get to live here for the next few months. Unfortunately, by not being able to set up shop anywhere, I am essentially living out of my suitcases for the time being.

I had the fortunate opportunity to be able to stay on the couch of a flat that is owned by two girls that I met in my hostel family. I really do not know how to respond by the sheer support and encouragement that I received from them and others but it is definitely encouraging.

To anyone worrying back home, I am doing great and am not in a bad situation at all. However, it is just grand to think about how, without them or meeting others here, I could have potentially been in a tough situation of going hostel to hostel or hotel to hotel trying to find a room since the hostel I had was booked for the weekend. My hope is to remain here for a maximum of 2 weeks and, if still unable to find a place, I will bounce between places that have other students in my programs until I secure a place.

Therefore, be patient and courteous to those around you because you never know what may happen that may place you in a situation that relies on others to help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment